==> Curriculum Vitae | Short Bio
search and find from: Google Scholar
Metadata 2nd. ed. Zeng, Marcia Lei & Jian Qin. 2016. 3.Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman ISBN 978-1-55570-965-5 |Sample of the book| Find a copy in a library- 2nd ed.
& London: Facet Publishing ISBN: 9781783300525 | Free download Chapter 1
Metadata 1st ed. 2008.6. New York, NY: Neal-Schuman. ISBN: 978-1-55570-635-7 Find a copy in a library -1st ed.
Updates (recent activities):
Metadata 2nd. ed. named a 2017 CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title
Digital Humanities 2017, Montreal, Canada, August 8-11, 2017
- “Smart Data Approaches to Exploring Independent Datasets across Disciplines, Media, and Perspectives for Research in the Humanities" (Panel with colleagues at KSU and U. Cincinnati Digital Research Center)
- “Tackling Innovation Networks with Smart Data: A Case Study of the Liquid Crystal Institute at Kent State University" (Paper co-authored with Dr. Hongshan Li and other KSU Smart Data team member)
- “Spatial-temporal Variation based Innovation History Visualization: A Case Study of the Liquid Crystal Institute at Kent State University" (Poster by our KSU Smart Data team member).
Linked Open Data in Libraries, Archives and Museums (LODLAM) Summit 2017, Venice, Italy, June 28-29 , 2017.
2017 Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP) 39th Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, May 31 – June 2, 2017
MW17: Museums and the Web Conference, Cleveland, Ohio, USA., April 19-22, 2017
- "Extending Exhibitions to Historical Journeys through Data [in the Semantic Web]" - a Professional Forum. (With the colleagues at the Getty Research Institute and KSU Geography Dept.)
- "Linked Open Data (LOD) Vocabularies: Querying, Dumping, Re-Using, and Serving" - a How-to Session. (With the colleagues at the Getty Research Institute and LD4PE team)
"Visual Representations of Knowledge Structures", Live stream video , Keynote at World Information Architecture Day (World IA Day) 2017 Conference, Kent, February 18th, 2017
"Smart Data for Digital Humanities", a perspective article published by Journal of Data and Information Science. Volume 2, Issue 1, Pages 1–12, ISSN (Online) 2543-683X, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/jdis-2017-0001, February 2017
Elected to be a member (2016-2020) of the Executive Board of the International Society for Knowledge Organization (ISKO).
[Kent State University President Beverly Warren] President’s Faculty Excellence Award, 2016. https://www.kent.edu/president/presidents-faculty-excellence-award/2016-recipients
"Subject Access, Smart Data, and Digital Humanities: Finding Unlimited Opportunities through their Intersections" Keynote at Subject Access: Unlimited Opportunities, IFLA 2016 Satellite Conference, August 11-12, 2016, Columbus, Ohio. [ppt on Slideshare]
Ph.D. 1992. School of Information Sciences, University of Pittsburgh
M.A. 1984, B.A. 1982 Wuhan University, China
Major Research Interests
Knowledge organization and representation; metadata architectures and applications; Linked Data; thesaurus, taxonomy, ontology, and other knowledge organization systems (KOS);
quality control; indexing systems and software, application of expert systems; multilingual information processing; digital humanities.
Acronyms and Abbreviations:
- DCMI NKOS-TG = Dublin Core Metadata Initiative - Application Profile for KOS Resources Task Group
- DDC = Dewey Decimal Classification
- EU-ICP-PSP = EU Information and Communication Technology Policy Support Programme
- EU ADMS-WG = EU ISA Programme Asset Description Metadata Schema Working group
- FAO = Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Getty = The Getty Foundation, The J. Paul Getty Trust
- IFLA = International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
- IFLA-DL WG = IFLA Working Group on Digital Libraries
- IFLA-FRSAR-WG = IFLA Functional Requirements for Subject Authority Records Working Group
- IMLS = Institute of Museum and Library Services
- ISO = International Organization for Standardization
- KSU = Kent State University
- NSF = National Science Foundation
- OBR = Ohio Board of Regents
- OCLC = OCLC Online Computer Library Center
- UW = University of Washington
- UC Santa Barbara = University of California Santa Barbara
- W3C LLD-XG = World Wide Web Consortium Library Linked Data Incubator Group
Metadata Tutorial and Tools
KOS Tutorial and Tools
Working Groups in action
- Linked Data for Professional Educators (LD4E). Partner with U.Washington iSchool and DCMI. (Funded by IMLS)
- Smart [Big] Data team, Kent State University (Funded by the URC Research Seed grant).
- Digital Humanities Research with Smart Big Data — A Network Framework of Innovation History
Completed Group Work
- IAKM 60002/LIS 61095 Knowledge Organization Systems: Taxonomy, Thesaurus, Ontology
(IAKM II) (information)
- LIS 60637 Metadata Architectures and Implementations, 15 weeks (information and outline)
- LIS 61095 (Special Topics Course) Introduction to Cultural Heritage Informatics Online course, 10 weeks (information)
Professional Affiliations and Working Groups
mzeng at Kent dot edu, (330)672-2782 (SLIS phone) (330)672-7965 (SLIS fax)